What is International Linguistics Olympiad (IOL)?
The International Linguistics Olympiad (IOL) is one of 13 International Science Olympiads for secondary school students and has been held annually since 2003. Each year, teams of young linguists from around the world gather and test their minds against the world’s toughest puzzles in language and linguistics.
No prior knowledge of linguistics or languages is required: even the hardest problems require only your logical ability, patient work, and willingness to think around corners.
What is Korea Linguistics Olympiad (KLO)?
Korea Linguistics Olympiad (KLO) is a national linguistics competition in South Korea. It is held annually, usually in November, and is a part of the team selection process for the Republic of Korea to the International Linguistics Olympiad. It is organized by the KLO organizing committee.
What is Asia Pacific Linguistics Olympiad (APLO)?
Asia Pacific Linguistics Olympiad (APLO) is a regional linguistics competition specific to the Asia-Pacific region. It started in 2019 with 10 countries/regions and is now held annually.
APLO is the second and final round of the selection process of Team Korea to IOL.
Upcoming IOL: The 18th International Linguistics Olympiad (IOL 2021) will be held on July 19 – 23, 2021, in Ventspils, Latvia. You can find more information on the official website (Link).
Upcoming APLO: The 3rd Asia Pacific Linguistics Olympiad (APLO 2020) will be held on March 28 (prospective), 2021, in participating countries, simultaneously. You can find more information on the official website (Link).
Upcoming KLO: 2020/21 Korea Linguistics Olympiad (KLO 2020/21) will be held on November 29th, 2020. This is the first round of the selection process for Team Korea to the IOL 2021.
KLO 2020/21 Application (last updated 2020-11-11)
1. Contest Date & Time: 2020. 11. 29. (Sun) 2:00 ~ 4:00 PM
2. Location: ICT & Culture Convergence Center, Seongnam-si, Gyeonggi-do
(Further details TBA)
3. Eligibility: Korean resident or Korean citizen who fulfills any of the following criteria
(1) A student of a middle- or high-school in South Korea [*]
(2) A person who has never received any secondary education AND was born on Jan 1st, 2003, or later. [*]
* Those who are currently in Grade 12 (high-school senior) is NOT eligible.
4. Format: Short-answer questions
* Working language: Korean
5. Application Fee: 50,000 KRW per person
* Wire transfer account: 우리은행 1002-153-624698 [예금주: 채유정 – 한국언어학올림피아드 조직위원회]
* You are asked to submit a scanned copy or a screen capture of the transfer receipt.
* No refund or cancellation is allowed after 2020. 11. 24. (Tue).
6. Application Deadline: 2020. 10. 20. (Mon) 00:00 – 11. 22. (Sun) 24:00
7. How to apply: Choose one
(1) Google Form: http://krlo.co.kr/app2021
(2) E-mail: Download 2020/21 Application Form and send to firstname.lastname@example.org
8. Result Announcement: 2020. 12. 20. (presumptive), published on krlo.co.kr
* Those who are awarded at this contest are given the opportunity to participate in APLO 2021, scheduled in March 2021, where the final 8 students are chosen for the Korean representatives to the IOL.
* 대회 당일 본인임을 증명할 수 있는 사진이 부착된 신분증 (학생증, 여권, 청소년증)을 반드시 지참하여야 합니다.
* 시험 시작 30분전까지 (오후 1시 30분) 고사장에 입실 완료해야 합니다.
* 시험 중에는 휴대용 무선통신기기 (휴대폰, 웨어러블 기기 등) 등은 소지할 수 없습니다.
* 신청서 기재사항의 허위기재 및 기타 부정한 방법으로 지원한 사실이 발견되었을 때에는 수상이 취소되며, 향후 본 대회 응시자격을 제한 받을 수 있습니다.
* 코로나19 확산 방지를 위해 시험 당일 조직위원회의 방역 조치 사항을 준수하여야 합니다. 그렇지 않을 경우, 참가 자격 박탈 등의 불이익을 받을 수 있습니다.
* KLO Organizing Committee 010-4588-1673 (Yoo-jung Chae) / email@example.com
IOL Sample Problems (in English): https://ioling.org/problems/samples/
NACLO Resource Page (in English): https://nacloweb.org/practice.php
KLO Education Center (in Korean): http://edu.krlo.co.kr/
KLO Organizing Committee <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Secondary E-mail: email@example.com
FAQ (under construction)
- Can I apply for KLO and NACLO at the same time?
No, you’re not allowed to compete in multiple selection processes for IOL in the same year. Your eligibility for IOL is automatically revoked if it is confirmed that you have done so.